There are several effectively-built and qualified wanting templates available for Google Blogger, all very tempting for the every day blogger to import. Most of these are tested for Blogger and operate high-quality, but Google has built the importation of these a often buggy and a lot more cumbersome method than it employed to be. Listed here are a dozen very simple techniques to make these other templates get the job done though backing up your present-day blogsite.
1. To change to a new template, you have to to start with have the new a single downloaded on to your regional pc, and it will normally be in XML structure, but occasionally is only in a TXT file.
2. Soon after logging in at Blogger, decide on Customise your web site.
3. Initially backup the current template: decide on Layout, Edit HTML and Down load Template. Modify the name to anything you recognize, like ‘Temp-MyBlog-010309’, then preserve it. This normally takes a number of seconds, the file will be little, generally 50-100k. This will not save the posts, which is upcoming.
4. Future, backup your posts. You is not going to have to reload them, it really is just a fantastic plan to again them up ahead of major adjustments. Pick Settings, then Export Blog site (the Simple tab). This exports the posts them selves. Once again help save the file as anything you keep in mind, like ‘Exp-MyBlog-010309’.
5. You require to back up or duplicate each individual of your widgets, the HTML code. Make positive you use a textual content editor like Notepad. I place them all in 1 file with labels for every single and a separator line, which can make it effortless to duplicate them again into the new template. Sad to say, duplicate and paste is the only strategy you can use listed here, one particular at a time, so it can be tedious with a crowded interface with loads of sidebar devices.
6. Now you are ready for the new template. Return to Edit HTML, and choose Look through to uncover the new template on your personal computer. When you choose it, click Ok, then when back again in Blogger, pick out Upload. The new template will be transferred to Blogger.
7. Soon after the refresh, you will see a listing of widgets on the left that will be deleted, this kind of as ‘html1’ and ‘blog1’. If you progress from here, you will probable get the notorious ‘Bk-#’ mistake display with an error code. You ought to to start with debug the new template.
8. Use ‘Ctrl-F’ to Come across, and lookup for ‘widget id’.
9. When you uncover a single, simply click Shut, then edit the ensuing widget’s identify that you see by incrementing the quantity, these types of as ‘html1’ should really be modified to ‘html2’, ‘text1’ becomes ‘text2’, and so on. There could be two or additional of every of these, adjust them all. Really don’t miss shifting ‘blog1’ to ‘blog2’, this is virtually generally existing. Then use Ctrl-F once more for the future instance of ‘widget id’.
10. When you’ve got edited them all (and be thorough to not cycle by means of them two times), click on Save Template. After the display refreshes, you have a new listing of widgets that will be deleted, but now it truly is Okay, none will be from the new template.
11. Click Verify and Preserve. This must do the job without errors now, and you can select possibly Preview or Watch Weblog and see the final results.
12. You can now copy your widgets again (1 at a time) that ended up deleted through the importation course of action. Even if you have several, it ought to acquire a lot less than an hour.
Considering the fact that you’ve got thoroughly backed up the former template, if there is a challenge with the new one particular or you do not like it, you can change back to the authentic by applying the upload approach once more, and pick the primary template backup identify. You will have to copy again the initial widgets all over again, but at the very least you won’t shed nearly anything.
Build a examination weblog 1st, then never be afraid to try a new template to refresh your weblog!